As part of our migration to Google for email ITS is providing configuration instructions for previously supported mail clients. ITS strongly recommends users make use of the web-based interface provided by Google rather than any client in order to take advantage of features specific to Google Mail.
If you are going to use a mail client, ITS recommends Mozilla Thunderbird. Thunderbird is a free email client that can be downloaded from Mozilla. Versions for Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS X, and Linux are available.
If you prefer Apple Mail, here are the set up instructions.
Step by Step Instructions
NOTE: Apple Mail 7.3 and earlier will not work with incorporate Google accounts. If you are running OS X 9 or earlier, use the web-based interface or Thunderbird.
- Launch the Mail app. If you do not currently have any accounts set up in Apple Mail, you can continue to the directions in Step 4. If you already have an Apple Mail account, and need to add or update your Swarthmore account:
- For Sierra users - Pull down the Mail menu and choose Preferences and click on the Accounts tab.
- For Yosemite and El Capitan users - Pull down the File menu and choose Accounts and click the Accounts tab.
- If you have an existing Swarthmore IMAP account, make sure it is highlighted and click the "-" sign at the bottom left to remove it.
- Next, click the “+” sign to add an account.
- For the account provider, choose Google.
- Click Continue.
- On the Sign In page, enter your Swarthmore email address and click Next.
- You will be redirected to login.swarthmore.edu.
- Enter your Swarthmore username and password.
- Click Login.
- You will be redirected to the Duo Authentication page. Authenticate with your preferred device/method.
- Lastly, Apple Mail will ask which apps you want to use your Swarthmore account with on your Mac.
- Your Mail, Contacts, and Calendars will open in the respective app.
- Click Done.
Note: You may receive an email from Apple mail informing you that it was unable to send your messages using smtp.swarthmore.edu and asking if you want to use Google. Just say, yes