There are two ways to connect to your Swarthmore Gmail account on your Apple iOS device.
Gmail and Google Calendar apps for iOS
We strongly recommend downloading and using the Gmail and Google Calendar apps from the AppStore. These apps are free and offer more integration with Gmail than the built-in apps. Using the built-in apps may also cause compatibility issues with Duo, our Two-Factor Authentication system, when iOS updates are pushed out to your devices.
Google Calendar app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-calendar/id909319292?mt=8
Step By Step Instructions (Gmail and Google Calendar apps)
Launch one of your Google apps. Setup is the same for both of them.
At the sign-in page, enter your email address at swarthmore.edu.
On the next page, enter your Swarthmore username and password.
That's it! You are done.
Built-in Apple Mail and Calendar
The second option for mail and calendar are the built-in iOS apps. This solution works with Google, but doesn't integrate as well with search features or multiple shared calendars in Google.
Step By Step Instructions (Apple Mail and Calendar)
- Open Settings and scroll down to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars".
- Select "Add Account".
- Choose the Google option to add your account.
- Sign in.
- Enter your Swarthmore email address.
- Leave the password field blank.
- Click Sign In.
- You will be redirected to login.swarthmore.edu.
- Enter your Swarthmore username and password.
- Click "Login".
- Allow iOS to access your email, calendar, and contacts. After you click "Allow", your Swarthmore mail will show up in the Mail app and your Swarthmore calendar will show up in the Calendar app.