Moodle can be used to give anonymous course evaluations for classes. It is possible to see who has and hasn't completed the evaluation maintaining anonymity.
To set up your own course evaluation, go to a course in Moodle and turn editing on. Pick the location where you want to add the evaluation, then click on “Add an activity . . .”and select “Questionnaire”. Fill out the options as follows:
General: give the questionnaire and name and provide some summary information (e.g. “Please complete the course evaluation”)
Timing: you can optionally specify dates and times that the course evaluation will be available to students.
Recommended Response options:
- Type: Respond once
- Respondent Type: Anonymous
- Students can view ALL responses: After the Questionnaire is closed (see the Info box below for important information on this setting)
- Save/Resume answers: Either choice is fine. We suggest you select “Yes” if your evaluation is long and/or involved so that students can complete part of the evaluation, save their work, and finish the evaluation at a later time.
- Allow Branching Questions: This will be "No" for most surveys. Set to "Yes" if you have a more complex questionnaire in which you want to show certain questions based on previous answers.
- Auto numbering: Select your preference
- Submission grade: If you would like to see who has and hasn’t completed the evaluation (while maintaining the anonymity of the answers), select a grade here. A corresponding entry will be made in the grade area when the student submits a completed course evaluation. For example, if you select “100″, a grade of 100 will show up in the gradebook for that student for the course evaluation. Note: if you are using the gradebook for your course grades but don’t want it to count as a participation grade, then go into the gradebook and make sure to give it zero weight.
- Content Options: Generally you will be creating a new survey. It is possible to create a course evaluation template and then use a copy for multiple classes or an entire department. See below for more information.
Copying a course evaluation from another course
It is possible to copy a course evaluation from another course or previous semester by setting up the original course evaluation as a "template." To create a course evaluation template, go to the original course, click on the questionnaire, then click on Gear Icon (top right of page) → Advanced Settings, and set the “Questionnaire Type” to “Template”. You can then create another survey and make a copy of the original template questionnaire. Go to the new course, add a new questionnaire, and select the original questionnaire template from the Content Options → Use template section.
Once the first response has been received, click on the questionnaire and find the "Results" tab. Here you can see the survey responses either in aggregate or individually. It is also possible to download the survey responses as a text file.
To see who has and hasn't completed the course evaluation, click on Grades link from the left menu (click on the button at the top left if the menu is hidden) and find the grade column that corresponds to your course evaluation. Any student with a score in this column has completed the course evaluation.