Instructions for saving your Swarthmore GSuite data when leaving the college.
Saving files from Google Drive
If you have documents that need to be shared with your department after your leave, copy or move them to your departmental folder in Google Drive. These files will be available to your colleagues even after your Swarthmore account is deleted.
If you're migrating from Swarthmore to a personal Google account, transferring your Google Docs is easy. Just select all the documents you want to migrate, go to the Share menu, and grant your personal Google account Edit access to the files.
Next, log into your personal Google account. The files you just shared should appear under "Shared with Me". Select all the documents, right-click (or control-click) on them and choose Make a Copy. This will copy the files permanently to your other Google account and make you the owner of the copy.
Select all the documents you want to transfer, go to the More Actions drop down, and click on Download. This will compress all the documents into a zip file and download it to your hard drive. Afterward, you can go to your external Google account and hit the New > Folder Upload button in the top left corner, and re-upload all the documents you just downloaded.
Any documents for which you are a collaborator but not the owner will not transfer correctly with either of these methods; you'll need to contact the owner of those documents and tell them to re-share them with your new account.
Saving a Google Calendar
To migrate your main calendar, go into your Google Calendar settings and click on the Calendars tab. You'll see an option to Export Calendars to your hard drive in iCal format. Export them to your drive and unzip them if necessary.
Next, go to your external Google account (it's easiest to have each account logged into Google in a separate browser), go to Settings > Calendar Settings > Calendars and create a new one. Name it whatever you like, click Create Calendar, and then hit the import button at the bottom of the page. Choose the .ical file corresponding to your main calendar and upload it, choosing the empty Google Calendar you just created as its destination. You'll see that it shows up in calendar view.
You can export all the mail from your Swarthmore account to another Gmail account.
Exporting emails to another Gmail account
Before you begin, change the "Allow Less Secure Apps" setting on your Swarthmore Gmail. Instructions to change that setting are here: Allowing Less Secure Apps in Gmail
- Open the Gmail account you want to import to.
- At the top right, click the gear [Settings] .
- Select Settings.
- Select the Accounts and Import tab.
- In the "Check mail from other accounts" section, click Add a mail account.
- Enter your full Swarthmore email address, then click Next.
- Click Next again to "Import emails from my other account (POP3)"
Now you have a few options to choose from. Here are our recommended settings:
- Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server - Leave unchecked. This setting is controlled in the POP settings of your other account.
- Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail - Keep checked.
- Label incoming messages - Check the box if you’d like to easily see which emails in your inbox came from this account. Recommended.
- Archive incoming messages - Leave unchecked. Only check if you don’t want to mix the imported messages from the other account with your inbox.
- Click Add Account. You can skip the "send mail as swarthmore.edu" step because your account will be going away shortly.
If you get an error message while getting set up, click the Show error details link to find out more about what’s not working.
Gmail will check your other account for new emails periodically. It may take a few days to import all of your Swarthmore mail. You can see when the other account was last checked from the "Accounts and Import" tab.
To export contacts from your Swarthmore Gmail
- At the top left, click Mail > Contacts.
- Click More > Export...
- Choose whether to export all contacts or only one group.
- Select the format in which you'd like to export your contacts' information. Note that some of these formats can lose some contact information.
To transfer contacts between Google Accounts, use the Google CSV format. This is the recommended way to back up your Google Contacts.
- Click Export.
- Select a location to save your file, and click Save.
To import contacts to your external Gmail account
- Sign in to Gmail.
- At the top-left corner, click Gmail > Contacts. Above the contacts list, click More > Import....
- Click Choose File.
- Select the file you'd like to upload.
- Click Import.