Swarthmore community members can install MATLAB on any college or personally-owned computer by first creating a MathWorks account and then downloading the appropriate MATLAB installer.
Set up an account and associate it with Swarthmore's License
- Go to mathworks.com and select "Create Account" at the top right of the screen.
- Fill out the required information, making sure to use your Swarthmore e-mail address. If given the option to select how you will use MATLAB, select "Teaching or Research in school" or "Student use".
- You may need to verify your account by clicking on a link from the MathWorks. If you don't receive the e-mail, you can check your spam folder.
- After you have verified your account, visit the appropriate link below to associate your account with Swarthmore's MATLAB license:
Faculty/staff: MATLAB faculty/staff license
Students: MATLAB student license
- At this point, you can download the MATLAB installer from the MathWorks MATLAB web site.
- Open the installer you downloaded from the MathWorks web site
- Under the dialog title "Install MathWorks Software", select "Log in with a MathWorks Account"
- When requested, enter your MathWorks account information.
- Continue through the installation wizard
- You will be prompted which products you would like to install. Most people install MATLAB and all the toolboxes, but you can remove some items to reduce the disk space consumed by the program. Make sure "License Manager" is unchecked since this is just for server installations.
- When prompted to provide the location of the license file, download and select this license file: MATLAB License File
For departmental labs, ITS can provide a version of MATLAB that connects to the license manager to avoid linking a MATLAB installation to an individual user account. Contact ITS for details.
Our agreement with the MathWorks allows any Swarthmore community member to install MATLAB and all available toolboxes without requiring a connection to a license manager every session. This makes it easier for faculty and students to do their work from off campus as well as eliminates any problems with running out of licenses.
MATLAB users do need to check in with MathWorks every so often to make sure their licenses are still valid. If you receive a message that your license will expire, click on the MATLAB help button (on the MATLAB toolbar) → Licensing → Activate Software and follow the instructions. You will need to provide your MathWorks account login info in order to update the license.