Swarthmore is an institutional member of AWS Educate, a program which gives faculty and students credits for use on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Faculty receive $200 and students receive $100 per year. In addition, we have access to AWS training and course materials.
Using AWS, you can create cloud-based servers and storage.
Joining AWS Educate
To join AWS Educate, first create an AWS Account using your Swarthmore email address (look for the create account link on the top right). This requires setting up a payment method with a credit card. If you don't have a credit card or don't want to use a personal credit card, you can purchase a small denomination VISA gift card (or equivalent). Then link your AWS Account to Swarthmore's AWS Educate account from the AWS Educate Application page. Amazon may take a few days to validate your account.
After you have been approved, Amazon will send you a confirmation email with an AWS credit code.
Redeeming the AWS Educate Credit
To take advantage of your credit, enter the code into your AWS account and activate your AWS Educate account. The instructions for adding the credit to your account are as follows:
- Visit: http://aws.amazon.com/console/.
- Click Sign in to the AWS Console.
- Enter your email address and password (enter an authentication code if you have enabled multi-factor authentication (MFA) for your account).
- In the AWS Console, click on your name and then click Billing & Cost Management.
- In the Billing & Cost Management Dashboard, click Credits on the left.
- Enter the AWS credit promo code, complete the security check, and click Redeem