The Office Hours Scheduler system allows anyone with a Swarthmore account to create a calendar, set up blocks of time, and allow users to sign up appointments within each block. It is handy for advising, everyday office hours, or even scheduling interview sessions. It can also be used as a group calendar.
The Office Hour Scheduler is at www.swarthmore.edu/officehours.
Anyone with a Swarthmore account can log into the scheduler uisng their Swarthmore username and password. The system uses our single sign on process, so if you are signed into another Swarthmore service such as SwatMail, Moodle, or SwatFiles, you won't need to enter your credentials again.
- Go to www.swarthmore.edu/officehours.
- Start by creating a calendar by clicking the + New Calendar tab to the upper right of the screen.
- Then add blocks of time that you will be available using the + Add Block link on the right next to Calendar Settings. You can add single blocks or recurring times. There are many other options for things like the appointment slot size, email reminders, and deadlines.
- Once you have set up the calendar and blocks, click on the Calendar Settings link on the upper right and find the Direct URL for Calendar: link in the grey box under where it says Advertise this URL to Appointment makers: You can share this link with your students via email or by posting in Moodle. Students that click on the link will be able to select a block and a time slot and make an appointment.
Contact ITS (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information and help.
Linking the office hours scheduler with Moodle
It is handy to include a link to your office hours scheduler in your Moodle courses. To set this up, go to the Calendar Setup and copy the Direct URL for Calendar: link in the grey box where it says Advertise this URL to Appointment makers: Go to your Moodle course an add a new Resource → URL. Give your link a name (e.g. Office Hour Scheduler) and paste the URL from the Office Hours program into the URL box in Moodle.
Linking the office hours scheduler with your calendar
It is possible to sync your office hours scheduler with your Google Calendar, or the calendaring program on your phone. To set this up, go to the Calendar Setup and copy the Subscription URL (for Owners and Managers). Add a new remote calendar in your main calendaring program and use the URL you copied as the source.
Importing into Google Calendar
- Follow the instructions above to copy the Subscription URL
- Go to Google Calendar
- On the left menu click on the "+" sign next to "Add a co-worker's calendar", then select "From URL" from the pulldown menu
- Paste in the Subscription URL from the Office Hours Scheduler
The Office Hours calendar will now show up in your calendar list. It may take a few minutes for your appointments to load. You can edit calendar settings (under Other Calendars) to change the name and notification preferences for the Office Hours Scheduler calendar.
The calendar will show the blocks of time in the Office Hours Scheduler as well as any individual appointments.
Synchronize appointments with Google Calendar (rather than create a new calendar in Google)
The Office Hours Scheduler (WASE) can sync appointments and blocks into your Google or other calendar. To have WASE do this:
- Click on the PREFERENCES tab in WASE (Orange bar near the top of the page).
- A PREFERENCES page will open, either in a separate browser tab or window.
- Click on the down-arrow in the "Local Calendar for Sync" box.
- Select Google Calendar to sync appointments and blocks into your Google calendar.
- Select iCal to sync appointments and blocks into your local (iPhone/Android) calendar.
- Select None if you do not want your appointments and blocks synced into your local calendar.
- Further instructions will be displayed on how to complete the synchronization setup.
The most common source of problems are students using the Guest login instead of using their Swarthmore log in. If someone from the Swarthmore community can't make an appointment with you, check to make sure they are clicking the main "Log In" button and not using the "Guest Log in".