There are a variety of forum types. Clicking on the help button next to the "Forum type" setting shows a brief overview of each. From the Moodle documentation:
There are five different types of Moodle Forums:
- A Single Simple Discussion: A single discussion topic in which everyone can reply to (cannot be used with separate groups).
- Each person posts one discussion: Each student can post exactly one new discussion topic, which everyone can then reply to.
- Q and A Forum: Students must first post their perspectives before viewing other students’ posts.
- Standard Forum Displayed in a Blog-like Format: An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at anytime, and in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with “Discuss this topic” links.
- Standard Forum for General Use (Default): An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time.
Subscribing to a forum means that you will receive an email every time there is a new post to the forum. Instructors can change the default behavior of subscriptions to a variety of settings. From the Moodle documentation:
|title||Moodle Forum Subscriptions|
There are 4 subscription mode options:
- Optional subscription - Participants can choose whether to be subscribed
- Forced subscription - Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription - Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time
- Subscription disabled - Subscriptions are not allowed