Scalar is a content management system with the idea of creating non-linear books on the web. You can learn more about its functions here.
We recommend visiting the Scalar guide (http://scalar.usc.edu/works/guide/index) for more information on getting started.
- To get started you’ll need to login to your control panel (https://domains.swarthmore.edu/dashboard) using your Swarthmore College username and password
- Navigate to the Application section and select Scalar. You can also use the search function as well.
- When you click on the Scalar icon, you will be taken to the Scalar information page. Click "install this application".
- On the next page, fill in the different fields accordingly:
- Select the subdomain where you’d like your Scalar site to live. You can create a sub-domain by following directions in the section Setting up Subdomain. The directory is optional. If you are using a sub-domain, you may not need to use a sub-directory. You can learn more by reading Subdomains vs Subdirectories.
- Under "version", select the version that is most recent.
- By default the installer will automatically backup your website and update it anytime a new version comes out. We recommend you keep this option enabled.
- The installer will also create a database for you automatically, but if you’ve already created one for this website you can choose "Let me manage the database settings" and enter the details.
- Finally, in Settings, you’ll need to create a username and password for the Scalar install. A password can be generated for you, but you should try to create your own.
- Click Install.
- Log into your new Scalar instance with the credentials you set during the install process.