Office 365 is free to Swarthmore faculty and students that have a Microsoft account using their Swarthmore email address. The service includes both desktop and online versions of applications including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote.
Sign in or create an account on the Microsoft Office 365 for Education website.
New Microsoft 365 accounts will automatically get access to the online versions of the Microsoft Office software. ITS has to manually upgrade new accounts to provide access to the full, downloadable versions of Office. It may take up to a week after creating an account before the downloadable version is available. If the downloadable version isn't available after a week, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Downloading 365 Desktop Apps
Once ITS has provided access to the fully downloadable versions of Office.
- Click on the Install Office drop down menu and select Office 365 app.
- This will begin the download process.
View Only: Your Account Doesn't Allow Editing on a Mac - Office 365 Error
After installing Office 365 apps on a personally owned Mac some users get an error that says:
View Only. Your account doesn't allow editing on a Mac. To learn more, contact your admin about your Office plan
First, verify that you are using the proper account:
- Click "Use Another Account" and sign in with your email address and Microsoft password
- Alternately, click the "Activate" button and sign in with credentials.
If that does not work, you can attempt to clear credential caches and reactivate office 2016 for the Mac:
- Open finder → click go on the top menu bar → go to folder → input the following path: ~/library/Group Containers/
- Right-click each of the folders below if present, and then click move to trash.
If that doesn’t work the last option is to try uninstalling office for mac completely then re-install and re-activating office.
Office Accessibility Center
Office 365 Accessibility Features