The Panopto Recorder application allows you to record audio, video, PowerPoint slides, and your computer screen to create videos for your course. After each recording, Panopto automatically publishes it to your Moodle course inside the Panopto Block. You can download the Recorder app from the Panopto block within Moodle.
Making a Recording
Click on the "Create New Recording" button in Panopto. Under "Folder", select your class. Under "Session" you can specify a name for the recording. Then select your recording options: you can record a screen capture, video from a webcam or external camera, and audio from internal or external microphones. Depending on your needs, you can enable or disable any of the audio/video sources.
When you are ready, click "Start Recording". You can pause the recording at any time. When done, click "Stop Recording".
The resulting recording will be automatically uploaded to Panopto's servers. It will take some time to process the recordings. Allow a few hours for a class-length recording. When the processing is complete, the recording will appear as a link in the Panopto block in Moodle.
Configure the Panopto Recorder with your desired settings
- Confirm you are recording into the correct course folder
- Panopto should default to your selected Moodle course but it is always good to double-check. You can access other courses available to you through the Folder drop-down menu.
- Name your recording
- Panopto automatically makes the default name the date and time of the session. For searches, the default session name is best. For classes, it is helpful to add a topic description to the date and time default name.
- Select your primary sources
- Make sure you select the correct audio source; Panopto requires audio. If you want to record video, select the correct video source from the drop-down menu. Different classrooms have different audio and video options. We also have web cameras available for check out. Contact Classroom and Conferencing Technologies at email@example.com if you have questions about the options in your classroom.
- Select the appropriate option for slides
- If you are you using either Powerpoint or Keynote make sure either the PowerPoint or Keynote box is checked.
- Select the screen recording option
- If you are using other software applications in addition to PowerPoint or Keynote in your presentation such as Word documents, Excel Spreadsheets, web pages, Prezi, recording your computer screen may be a good option. By default, your built-in computer screen is selected. If you do not want to include anything from your screen, beyond PowerPoint or Keynote, change the source option to None.
- Press record. Once you have set the Panopto Recorder options as desired, click the red Record button to record
- The resulting recording will be automatically uploaded to Panopto's servers. It will take some time to process the recordings. Allow a few hours for a class-length recording. When the processing is complete, the recording will appear as a link in the Panopto block in Moodle.
- Folder location of the recording
- Video/Session name
- Primary source of video and audio selection
- Slide recording options
- Secondary source/ computer screen selection