You can export content from one WordPress site and import it into another WordPress site by following the steps below. This may be helpful when setting up a new Moodle WordPress blog each semester.
Export from Old WordPress Site
- Login to your WordPress site where you want to export content from. This could be from a previous WordPress site in Moodle or from a previous WordPress site created outside of Moodle.
- In the Dashboard, select the Tools option on the left-hand side menu and choose Export.
- Once you select Export you will be prompted to select what type of content you’d like to export. The default is to export All Content which includes all of your posts, pages, comments, custom fields, terms, navigation menus, and custom posts. However, you can choose more specific content to choose below.
- Next, click Download Export File.
- When you click the Download Export File button, WordPress will create an .XML file to save to your computer.
Import to New WordPress Site
- Login to your new WordPress site (the one you want to import the content to),
- In the Dashboard, select the Tools option on the left-hand side menu and choose Import.
- You will see multiple installers you can use to import your site from. However, you want to use the WordPress Installer, so scroll down to the one that says WordPress and select Run Importer
- In the Import WordPress window, click Choose File and select the .XML file you created from your previous WordPress site. Then click Upload File and Import.
Assign Authors and Import Attachments
- Next, you will be prompted to assign your previous posts to an author on the new site. You can select yourself or another user who may be an Admin.
- Also on this page, it is highly recommended you check the Download and import file attachments button. You must check this box in order to move your site images or files to the new site. If not checked, your media files will not be imported and you will have to either repeat the previous steps or move the files manually.
- Once you've done those steps, click Submit and you are all done.
To learn more about this process, below are links to the official WordPress help documentation.