Moodle automatically synchronizes course enrollments from Banner. To see a list of students in the class, click on the "Participants" link on the left menu. If the left menu isn't visible, click the button at the top left of the page.
Be sure the appropriate role is selected. See "Types of Roles" below for a list of the available roles.
If you would like to add a student or colleague to the course, go to Participants (left side menu) → Enroll Users. Search for a user by first name, last name, or email. Click on the name you want to enroll. You can add more than one person at once, by searching for additional names. Select the Role for the users you are adding, and note that you can only enroll users into one role at a time (all selected users will get the same role).
Click on the "Enroll users" button add a new user(s) to your course.
Limited duration enrollments
If you want to enroll someone shopping your course but have them automatically removed if they don't register for your course, use the enrollment duration setting when enrolling a user. After you click on the "Enroll users" button to open the "Enroll Users" pop-up window, click on "Show more ..." link and set the duration of the enrollment for 2 weeks (or whatever value you would like).
If the student never officially enrolls in the course, he/she will be dropped after the enrollment duration expires.
If the student registers for the course, they will be added via Banner and will remain enrolled after the enrollment duration expires.
If you would like to remove a user from the course, go to Participants (left side menu). Click on the trash can icon on the far right of a user record.
Modifying Users and Changing Roles
If you need to add or change the role of a manually-added user, go to Participants (left side menu), find the user you want to modify, and click on the little "pencil icon" in the "Roles" column. From here you can add a new role by clicking on the triangle to expand the list of roles, selecting a role, and clicking in the disk icon to save the change. For example, if you didn't initially give a user a role when you enrolled them in the course, you could add the "student" role. To remove a role, click the pencil to edit roles, then the "X" next to the name of the role.
Instructors have full control over manually enrolled users (Student role), but cannot modify enrollments made via Banner (Registered Student role). To remove a student enrolled through Banner, the Registrar's Office must un-enroll the student from the course.
Types of Roles
- Students automatically added from Banner are set to the Registered Student role
- Manually added students should have the Student role
- Teacher is the role for the main instructor(s) of the course
- A Teaching Assistant can do everything a Teacher can, except remove the teacher
- Course Builders can edit the course materials but not see grades
- Graders can enter and modify grades but not edit course materials
- Auditors have the same permissions as students, but do not have a gradebook entry so can't participate in graded activities.
- You cannot remove students enrolled via Banner (Registered Student). The student must be removed via the Registrar's Office.
- If you manually add a student and they are later added from Banner, you don't have to remove their manual enrollment. It is okay to be both a "Student" and "Registered Student"