You can work with PDF documents or convert documents to and from PDFs in many ways. Swarthmore has Adobe Acrobat available for download for all community members, as well as installed on all of the computers in our public computing labs.
Converting Documents to PDF
Exporting directly from Google Doc to PDF is not accessible. The most accessible option is actually to export the document into Microsoft Word first, and then follow those steps to make your PDF accessible.
Microsoft Word (Desktop Application)
Office 365 - Word (Online)
Exporting directly from Google Doc to PDF is not accessible.
The most accessible option is actually to export the document into Microsoft Word first, and then follow those steps to make your PDF accessible.
Adobe Acrobat Tips
You can easily add your signature to a PDF document or form. To view directions that include downloadable practice files, please visit Adobe's official documentation on how to fill and sign PDF forms. The directions for adding a signature are the same, even if the document you are signing is not a fillable form.
Adobe also allows you to have multiple individuals sign a PDF form with ease from the Adobe Document Cloud using Adobe Sign. For detailed instructions that include downloadable practice files, please visit Adobe's official documentation on how to get multiple signatures on a single document.
Insert New Text Into a PDF
- Select the Tools menu
- Choose Edit PDF, then choose Add Text
- Click and drag to define the width of the text block you wish to add
- For vertical text: Right-click the text box and choose Make Text Direction Vertical
- You can change the text properties using the options under Format in the right pane
- Type your text
- To resize the text box, click and drag a selection handle
- To move the text box, place the pointer over the line of the bounding box (avoid the selection handles). When the cursor changes to the Move pointer (crossed arrows), click and drag the box to the new location. To maintain alignment with any other list items, press Shift as you drag.
LibreOffice's Universal Accessibility (PDF/UA)
Microsoft's Create Accessible PDFs